Saturday, January 1, 2011

"These are my confessions..."

"If we ever doubt about what to do, it is a good rule to ask ourselves what we shall on the morrow that we had done." - John Lubbock

I wish I had followed lived by that quote today as I was faced with a choice that was should have been easy to make. I was at the local Dollar General today and was doing some quick shopping. I was in the Christmas clearance aisle, (go figure, right?) when I hear some guys walk in to the story. They seem nice enough. They were wishing everyone a Happy New year and seemed upbeat. Then they rounded the corner out of where I could see them from the front door and began "dissing" the people that didn't return the Happy New Year wish. They were using words that I will spare you from hearing. Anyways to make a long story short. I rounded the corner to where this group of guys were and witnessed them stealing items by shoving them into their pants. They caught me as I saw them and then they stared at me as if they were asking "What are you going to do about it?" I immediately got extremely nervous and uneasy and walked away. I didn't know what to do! Then the gentlemen left just as loudly and as quickly as they had come.

I stood there in one of the aisles wondering if there was going to be a camera in my face from the show "What Would You Do?" asking why I made the choice to not say anything. My answer would have honestly been "I was nervous and wasn't sure how they would react to a woman by herself. There were three big guys. I know it wasn't right but I froze."

I didn't do anything. I stood by and let this happen.

The longer I walked around, oblivious to what I was really looking for, the farther away they got from the store. Free. They got away with it.

My moment of doing the right thing had passed. I failed in doing the right thing.

No comments: