Sunday, January 31, 2010

Back Surgery

I am making two posts because there are two very different updates to let you know about. I recently went to the back doctor. I have had back pain since high school, so I though since I have my own insurance now, I might as well take advantage and go to the doctor. The nurse started with some routine X-rays to get a better look. As I anxiously waited for the results, I thought of all the possible reasons for my back hurting everyday, all day! Finally the doctor came in and after a few jokes and warming up to each other, let me have the news. I have spondylolisthesis. I have been living with a few fractures in the lumbar (lower) part of the spine. As a result of the fractures, my vertebrae has slipped significantly. I am also missing a disc between two vertebrae. NOT what I had expected to hear.
I have my MRI on Feb 18th. Unfortunately, I am going to have to have back surgery to fix this. That would require two procedures: one through the belly button to put in the missing disc and then, flipping me over like a rotisserie chicken, put two screws in my lower back. I am nervous and sit and think of all the results of this surgery, good and bad!

No comments: